Thursday, 14 April 2016

#37 - Hyde Park Barracks Museum

The Hyde Park Barracks Museum is one of those places that makes you feel like it is somehow immoral not to find fascinating.  It does have an interesting history, having been both a male convict barracks, and a hostel for Irish orphan girls fleeing the famine in its past.  Despite this gripping historical heritage, it just didn't do it for me.  I'm sorry.  I'm also sorry to Lisa for firstly making her pose for this picture, and then for posting it on a public blog.  

Lisa may divorce me when she finds out I've put this picture on
The museum is in a great location, just North of Hyde Park.  You may have guessed it would be in the vicinity, given its name.  Once inside, you can go for a tour of the building.  There are guided tours available at no extra cost (entrance to the venue is 10 dollars), or you can just wander around yourself.  There are various old artefacts from convict life, along with the stories behind them.  You can also search their database for convict ancestors.  I've no doubt my ancestry is littered with convicts, but none have made it as far as Australia as far as I'm aware.

They paint quite a picture - it's like being there in person
In addition to the main building, you can wander around the courtyard outside, and check out the courtroom building as well.  I am really doing my best to sell this, but I am struggling.  There is a shop, and a cafe, which would be a nice place to sit and have a drink on a sunny day.

I have to be honest, not everything on that wall really grabs my interest...
In summary, the Hyde Park Barracks Museum, is an interesting, educational place to spend a couple of hours.  I think my problem is that I have no real desire to be educated.  I plan to spend the rest of my life gradually forgetting the things I know now, and see no point in replacing them with new knowledge.  Those of you that have a slightly more positive view to personal enlightenment may well find this a great attraction.  The ratings on TripAdvisor certainly suggest some people do.

I think Lisa was trying to tell me something with this composition
Do you think it's important to spend some time learning about history?  Or would you rather spend your time killing a few brain cells with the local beer?  As always, please leave a comment and correct the many flaws in my standpoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment