Thursday, 14 April 2016

#41 - Coogee Beach

In at number 41, we have probably the second or third most famous beach in Sydney.  In case you're wondering, I'm considering Bondi as the undisputed most famous beach, with Manly and Coogee battling it out for second place.  Coogee is everything you expect from a Sydney beach.  It has long, wide, soft sand, which is regularly patrolled by lifeguards (always swim between the flags).  It has a swimming pool, grass barbecue areas and plenty of shops, bars and cafes right next to the beach.

I think even I could handle those waves
Coogee does get some waves, but they don't tend to be too powerful, and the beach is popular for swimming.  As always, take care though and don't venture out beyond your comfort levels.  I'm really not sure why I'm quite so concerned about my readers' well-being today, but do take care - it's a jungle out there.  Unfortunately, there are no train services to Coogee, or Bondi for that matter, but there are plenty of buses, and there is always the option of a taxi or uber.

Only to myself
We went to Coogee as part of the Bondi to Coogee beach walk, which is highly recommended, and reviewed elsewhere in this blog (follow the link above).  This is a great way to see two of the big three beaches.  I should point out here that I've never heard anyone else refer to Bondi, Coogee and Manly as the 'big three beaches', so please don't think this is an actual thing.

Is that a face above the map on the left?  I have no idea
If you're looking for a typical Sydney beach experience, Coogee beach is a great place to get it.  The water is great, the sand is great, and there is plenty to see and do around the area.  It does get very busy, but maybe marginally less than Bondi.  I personally prefer the smaller, quieter beaches, but Coogee beach is definitely worth checking out, even if only as part of the aforementioned Bondi to Coogee walk.

Do you think the 'big three' is actually the 'big three'?  Have any hot tips for people wanting to chill out at Coogee?  Please get involved and leave a comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment