Sunday, 3 April 2016

#91 - Marrickville Organic Farmers' Market

Ok, this is another one I really hoped would drop out.  Not that I have anything against organic farmers' markets.  It just doesn't really sound like something I would choose to attend of my own free will.  However, once again, I was shaken out of my closed minded cynicism as soon as the first smell of grilled gourmet sausages wafted into my nostrils.

A lot of this market looked exactly like I expected it to.  That is, full of hippies convincing well-off professional types to pay double what they would pay in the supermarket for goods because their products were made out of recycled sewage.  Or something like that.  There was no shortage of stands selling absolute garbage, but judging by the crowds, there are plenty of people who are quite happy to pay for garbage.

Music, fashion and food?  What are you waiting for?
In any case, amidst all the ill-advised pony tails and hemp clothing, there was also plenty of excellent food.  There was no shortage of excellent sausages, burgers, cakes, pastries etc.  Most of it was cooked fresh.  What I tried was excellent, and there was plenty more that smelled pretty good.  We sat and ate our freshly cooked lunches on the grass, while a band played out of a kind of shed thing.  It was all very cool, man.  Oh yeah, and they had donkey rides.  Obviously.

They even had a butcher with a van selling haggis and black pudding.  Sadly, they only had it to take away, and weren't cooking it and putting on a roll for you to buy.

Marrickville is not the most convenient place to get to if you don't happen to be in the area anyway, but I would happily go back for a Sunday morning snack if I was close by.

Are you a regular at MOFM?  Leave a comment to let us know where the best stalls are.

No comments:

Post a Comment