Sunday, 3 April 2016

#98 - Speciality Shops (The Strand Arcade)


This was one of the many slightly vague categories created by TripAdvisor.  I'm not sure what a shop has to do to be classed as 'speciality', but thankfully the good people at TA had already included a couple of shops in this category.  One of these was the Strand Arcade.  It's not actually an individual shop, but, well, an arcade.

Fancy

I think the reason it is voted in the top 100 things to do is that it is a well preserved, old fashioned shopping mall.  I suppose that type of thing is of interest to some people, but I can't say I will be telling the grandkids about this one.  The arcade itself is nice enough.  Some nice cafes and restaurants if you want to eat, and plenty of interesting shops.  Most of them seemed a bit on the expensive side, but maybe that is just me being a tight Scotsman.

What?  No McDonald's?

It's over about 4 floors from memory, and is located very centrally - not far from the Queen Victoria Building.  If you're interested in old architecture (the fact I can't even give a more accurate description of period than 'old' shows how interested I am), then it's definitely worth a look.  Even if not, it's worth a stroll through just out of interest, but I wouldn't go out of my way to see it.

What is that shop in the top left called?

Are any of the shops in the Strand Arcade worth calling out?  Let us know by leaving a comment

No comments:

Post a Comment